SURE Strip Military Tinder
SURE STRIPS (Nicknamed "S.E.R.E. STRIPS") are currently in use by U.S. Special Forces and NATO Military Units worldwide. Lightweight, waterproof and flat, the SURE Strip / SERE Strips are ideal for emergencies and survival situations.
SURE STRIPS (Nicknamed "S.E.R.E. STRIPS") are currently in use by U.S. Special Forces and NATO Military Units worldwide.They have been deemed mandatory survival items for inclusion survival / vest applications by the US Army Project Management (PM) Aviation Life Support Equipment (ALSE) Aircrew Integrated Systems for the US Army Air Warrior Program
NSN 6545-00-152-1578 GENERAL PACKET,INDIVIDUAL SURVIVAL KIT
SURE STRIPS have been used in the following survival training programs:
- Universal Training Systems, Western Region Aviation Survival School, (WRASS), Oregon.
- U.S. Army Survival Training (S.E.R.E.) Ft. Bragg, NC.
- U.S. Air Force Coastal Survival Course (S.E.R.E.) FL/AK.
- U.S. Navy SEALS Survival Training (S.E.R.E.) Little Creek, VA.
The U.S. Military needed a waterproof product that never expires and can produce fire anytime, anywhere and under any situation.
They chose SURE STRIPS!
- Lights with a spark
- Waterproof / Wind-resistant (wind makes stronger flames, can be snuffed in an emergency)
- 3 - 4 minute burn time per strip
- Approximately 24 minutes of burn time per package
- No odours, oils, dies or mess
- Extremely lightweight and durable (similar characteristics of U.S. paper currency)
- Non-Toxic - Indefinite shelf life
- Starts 30 fires when divided
- Lubricates weapon parts, zippers
- Boils water when strips are rolled
• (6) SURE STRIPS
• Survival Instructions
• Special Cotton
Fire Prep- Collect small, medium and large sized twigs and sticks to prepare your fire before lighting your SURE STRIPS. Detailed instructions are included how to make various fire lays for normal, stealth and rescue fires. Think of the SURE STRIPS as a lighter, its intended purpose is to start fires. You do not need to use the entire strip for each fire. You should be able to make 5 fires per SURE STRIPS. In a situation where all available tinder is too wet, you can use the SURE STRIPS™ as an extender to normal kindling. Burn time is 3 to 4 minutes.
Fire Starting- You can start 30 fires with the cotton provided if you divide each cotton ball into 15 equal parts. Lay one piece of divided cotton on the edge of the SURE STRIPS, use a sparking device to light the cotton. The sparks you create will ignite the cotton and the cotton will ignite the SURE STRIPS. Use care to keep your cotton dry. If strip is wet, try to remove as much moisture as possible and use double the cotton; using a flame does not require cotton and will light easily.
Special Forces Trick #1 Wet Cotton: If cotton becomes wet, squeeze and try to get out as much moisture as possible. Spread out the cotton ball and place it on your head. Cover your head with a hat, Shemagh, etc.. Wait 20 to 25 minutes to dry and relight.
Special Forces Trick # 2 - No Cotton: Tear the end of the SURE STRIPS with your teeth or a knife to expose the inner fiber strands. Pull the strands apart and use a SPARK-LITE™ striker or an Exotac nanoSPARK to create sparks to catch the strands on fire. This trick will work with wet or dry SURE STRIPS. It does take practice, so try give a try before heading out on your next adventure.